Facilitating the Organisation and Team to experience
“OPENNESS, EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION & ACCOMPLISHMENT IN WORK LIFE”
INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVE
An organization’s culture has a significant influence on the happiness index of its employees and its ability to execute the strategy for achieving business goals and objectives. The culture or work environment, if cultivated intentionally, will profoundly improve the happiness level of the individual/ team and of the organizationas a whole.
Happiness is administered by the organizational culture, a system of shared theories, values, and beliefs, which manage how people perform in organizations. These shared values have a strong influence on the people in the organization and dictate how they dress, act, and perform their jobs. Every organization has its own unique quality, just like people do. The unique quality of an organization is referred to as its culture. In groups of people who work together, organizational culture is an invisible but powerful force that influences the behavior of the members of that group.
Culture Development is an area of high impact contributing to the happiness index of the employees, which helps the business to achieve the business goals and objectives aligned with the vision and values of the organization. It is important for the Leadership team to live by the vision, values, and goals; and inculcate the same philosophies in the Process Owners/ Technical Professionals (Middle Management), Qualified Professionals (Junior Level) and Support Staff members (Individual Contributors).
The rapidly evolving businesses now require data-driven, open and flexible practices. To achieve process excellence, motivated manpower and business objectives, it requires in-depth study of happiness index of the organisation through
- Discovery & GAP Analysis –
- Happiness Index Survey is conducted by the HR experts (internal/ external) to understand the current culture of the organization and to align it with the vision and values of the organisation. The survey should be action-oriented and objective analysis should be based on Workplace Satisfaction, Recognition of Work, Employee Retention, Organizational Culture, Career Progression, etc.
- Changing Demographic Patterns – Study of changing demographic patterns by identification of age groups viz. GenX, GenY and average retention time, to further propose solutions accordingly.
- Organisation’s Vision Questionnaire – Align the happiness level of employees and Organisation’s Vision, contributing to achieving the business objectives. (Organisation’s vision questionnaire to be captured by HR Experts in a specific format designed).
- Gauge Happiness Index and Recommendations – HR Experts to gauge happiness index and design recommendations based on the in-depth discovery and GAP Analysis exercise, contributing to the happiness factor of employees aligned with the vision of the organization.
- Implementation of Solutions – Compilation of recommendations by the HR Experts and implementation of solutions based on the same, in close discussions with the management of the organisation.
The long-term result is to inculcate the philosophies (values) raising the happiness index of the employees, thus resulting in achievement and collaboration orientation.
A study of each of these characteristics and their expected results are:
- Innovation (Possibility Orientation) – Happiness contributes in exploring possibilities, with emphasis on innovation in the performance of their jobs.
- Attention to Detail (Precision Orientation) – Owners and Team are prepared to be accurate in their work. Laying a culture that places a high value on attention to detail expects their owners/ team to perform their work with precision.
- Emphasis on Outcome (Achievement Orientation) – People/ Team become focused on results, but not on how the results are achieved, the organisation places a high emphasis on this value of organizational culture.
- Teamwork (Collaboration Orientation) – Organize work activities around teams instead of individuals place, to have a positive relationship with their team.
- Assertiveness (Competitive Orientation) – Prepares the group members of the organisation to be assertive, when dealing with companies they compete with in the marketplace and outperforming the competition at all costs.
- Stability (Rule Orientation) – Prepares the team to perform consistently with predictable levels of output and operate best in non-changing market conditions.
BENEFITS FOR ORGANISATION
The organisation will be benefitted by the analysis and recommendations of survey program and organisation’s vision by the team of HR Experts, in the following ways:
- Promote Culture of Mutual Trust and Confidence with management. An open listening to the concerns of the people/ team will help the management to lay a foundation for effective communication, employee retention, and employee motivation.
- The company will be able to identify the motivational factors (primary drivers) of the organization.
- People/ Team will Be Engaged and More Productive. By truly valuing their feedback, they’re much more likely to be engaged in the company’s long-term goals, and will ultimately increase productivity.
- Opens Up Lines of Communication and will encourage people/ team to participate in the process of improving their workplace environment and opens up lines of communication. It will in return make them feel more empowered, regardless of their position with the company.
- Helps the management in identifying the gaps and align it to the business objectives, by restructuring or process re-engineering.
This initiative/ one step ahead of gauging and improving happiness level of the organisation finally leads to achieving process excellence, motivated manpower and meeting business objectives.
Mr. Hitesh Kumar Gulati is an Organisational Development Facilitator. He is Founder & Executive Consultant at DiversityAce Business Consulting and a Certified PPA Practitioner in Personal Profile Analysis (PPA) & Human Job Analysis (HJA), by Thomas International. He could be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org